Thursday, March 15, 2012

Things that make me go :)

A list of moments/events/objects in the last few days that have given me a sense of satisfaction.

1) A cafe lunch at a significantly lower cost.
My housemate is a waitress, and she occasionally brings home leftovers for me. Tuscan spinach pie for lunch - why thankyou!

2) Students with a can-do attitude.
As a singing teacher, I often ask my students to sing solo, so that I can hear and correct what they are doing. Today, two of my students agreed without the slightest look of fear on their faces, and their lack of nerves was reflected in the awesome tone they produced.

3) A busy weekend ahead.
I'm going camping with the church youth group tonight, coming back just in time for a friend's birthday party, leaving that to go to a brass band social, crashing into bed Saturday night in order to be refreshed for church and my housewarming party on Sunday.

4) A fridge full of delicious food that I'm going to assemble in interesting combinations.
I'm planning to make a roast vegie salad and a lemon cheesecake for this weekend.

5) A parcel arriving.
The sheet music that I ordered for my choir weeks ago finally arrived.

6) Happy emails
I want to arrange a cool song for my choir, so I emailed the composer to ask for arranging rights. She emailed back and said she was happy to give them to me. I also emailed my old lecturer from uni asking if my school choir could do a workshop with his university choir. He emailed back and said he thought it was a great idea.

7) Sunshine
I know that my mood shouldn't be so dependent on the weather, but it's impossible not to be hapy when the windows and doors of your house are open to the sun and the breeze.

8) An awesome bible study group.
I've joined a new group this year, and I'm loving it so much. Its mainly the sort of people I've referred to before as the 'old young people', and after living in town for just over a year, I'm finally starting to feel like I know these people and can relax around them. The leaders are a married couple with young kids. I hadn't met them until about 4 weeks ago, but they're just so cool. She in particular has a friendly-sarcastic sense of humor that matches mine really well.

9) Finally getting my fitness levels up so that I can enjoy basketball.
Even though we only have one or two games left, I feel so much healthier from playing in this season. I've only scored one goal, but that's not too bad considering this is the first season I've ever played.

10) My tea shelf
This feels a bit like I'm clutching at straws to round the list out to ten items, but it's true. I'm living in an older style house, and the stove in the kitchen has a mantlepiece above it. I've turned this almost into a shrine to tea. It makes me so happy to look up at that shelf and see rooibos, chamomile, lady grey, peach and rasberry, lemon and ginger, orange pekoe, english breakfast, an espresso mug, coffee grounds, caramel latte, hot chocolate, milo and a teapot all in the one place.

11)I've thought of one more
When you're reading a book (currently Tess of the D'Urbervilles) and you come across a delicious simile (describing the sun coming through clouds at dusk as 'a piece of day left behind by accident').

No comments:

Post a Comment