Monday, May 14, 2012

Boys can be silly

I have to justify this statement by citing some conversations that I have been a part of over the last week. For the purposes of keeping all things anonymous, let's refer to these particular members of the male persuasion as Barry from bible study, Freddie the friend-of-a-friend, and Garry the guy-I-kinda-like.

(In the context of a discussion on polygamy)
Barry: "I can't even find one wife, where am I going to get two?"
Fisher: "You're sitting at a table with company that includes three gorgeous, age-appropriate, Christian girls, none of whom, to my knowledge, you have ever asked out, and you say that you can't find a wife?" (This was in my head.)

Freddie: "Hey, I haven't seen you for ages. Do you want to catch up for coffee sometime?"
Fisher: Totally unsolicited freak-out and stretching of the truth in order to avoid said coffee and catch-up at all costs.

Garry: "..." (except for a facebook like)
Fisher: "You're the most amazing man I've ever met and our babies will be smart AND beautiful!" (Again, this was in my head.)

Okay, so perhaps judging from these conversations all laid out, I might be the silly one. It's just so much more satisfying to blame everyone else for my problems. I'm not particularly proud of any of the responses I made (even though they were mostly in my head).

On a previous occasion, I have gotten quite angry at a friend who wanted to play the simple game with the complicated name: 'Let's-take-all-the-single-people-over-the-age-of-sixteen-at-church-and-decide-who-would-make-cute-couples'. Church, although a good place to meet potential life partners who share values, interests and faith, is not a match-making agency, and shouldn't be treated as such. Church should be a place where everyone is accepted, even if they've reached the ripe old age of twenty-three without settling down with a spouse and children. It irks me when it is assumed that two single people around the same age and attending the same church must be right for each other (which is exactly what I did the other evening). So sorry, Barry, for trying to set you up and not simply accepting you as you are.

I spent a fair bit of time with Freddie over the weekend. We saw each other at a mutual friend's wedding, and he spent the whole night being very friendly - coming over to my table to chat several times and asking me to dance. We did spend a fair bit of time on the D-floor, which involved plenty of twirling and a close waltz grip. (Had I known, I would have worn a skirt with a bit of a flare, rather than my fairly basic shift dress.)He spent the whole night, unlike Stephen Sondheim's musical theatre heros, being both charming and sincere. The signals I was getting were on the border of friendship and flirtation. And so I did what I usually do when faced with an uncertain, possibly romantic, situation - I panicked. I spent ages the next day composing a reply text that contained no out-and-out lies, but neglected to mention the fact that I could have seen him, but chose not to -  mainly out of fear. After the last time I was in a similar situation, I promised that I wouldn't let my fear of relationships hold me back from having adventures. So much for promises made to myself....

And Garry...I think two out of three justifications aren't bad. He can remain a silly boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment