Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Breakfast

You know what I love? I really like eating breakfast. It is the thing that motivates me to get out of bed in the morning. It is always so tasty and delicious and happifying. See how much I love breakfast? I even need to make up words to describe my love for it.

The only bad thing I can think of concerning this rather wonderful meal is the sheer variety. On any given morning, I will want to eat multiple things, but my stomach just can't handle that much food all at once.

So you want a list of my favourite breakfast foods? I'm so glad you asked. Well, I suppose I could do so for you...

1) Cereal: My go-to cereal is plain old weetbix, but I do occasionally like to shake things up with cornflakes (best served with banana and honey) or the really yummy cranberry cereal, the official name of which I can't currently remember. Muesli is another delicious one. A few years ago, I stayed with a family that made their own muesli with oats, almonds, cranberries, dried apricots, pepitas and finely grated fresh ginger.

2) Overnight Oats: I suppose this is technically part of the cereal family. I love putting oats and chopped apple and milk in the fridge overnight and finding them perfect in the morning.

3) Toast/bread: My parents have recently given me a breadmaker - best invention ever. Some evenings I put the bread mix in the machine and set the timer for the bread to be perfectly baked as soon as I wake up in the morning. Butter is the best thing to spread on freshly made bread, but I will be slightly more adventurous with my toast condiments. Favourites include peanut butter, honey and home made jams.

4) Yoghurt: Nothing beats a good old-fashioned pot set yoghurt. This will usually be served with my cereal.

5) Pancakes: These are definitely not an everyday thing in my house, but are a great weekend breakfast. I have discovered that it is possible to cook pancakes in my sandwich press, which saves on washing up. Winner!

6) Smoothies: A fairly recent acquisition to my breakfast repertoire. All my smoothie recipes (I use the term 'recipe' very loosely) start with milk and banana, but will often include the addition of spices, frozen berries, chia seeds and leafy green things.

7) Eggs Benedict: I used to be the kind of girl who would order pancakes when eating out at breakfast time, but I have now seen the light of a good eggs benedict. Definitely a café food though, far too fiddly for me to bother with at home.

8) Tea or Coffee: Yes, I need some caffeine to start my day. Sorry blogosphere, I'm not one of those food writers. I love gluten, dairy, refined sugar and meat. I will also occasionally eat things that come out of a packet

Now if you'll excuse me, I have discovered a rather large collection of granola recipes that are begging to be cooked this afternoon so I can enjoy them for breakfast tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment